No. of Recommendations: 0
Heres my story. My wife has approx. $30,000 in a variable annunity. We investigated and found due to high fees and lower returns shes not getting the best bang for her retirement buck. I would like to get her money into a ROTH IRA, and use the Fooloish 4 approach to better her returns. Our situation is this I work for the 2nd largest railroad in the country, I have a company sponsered 401k, and will recieve a Railroad Retirement pension. My wife isn't offered any type of retirement savings through her work, but will recieve half of a railroad pension for being married to a railroad worker. Our AGI is below $90,000 a year, and we have at least 30-35 years apiece before retirement.
Questions:

1.First Question, I've been told that due to my retirement plans through work niether of us are elligable to setup a tax deferred IRA, is that correct?

2. To cash out the Annunity won't be too painful only approx. $800 in penalities. What sould I do to get this money in a retirement account where I can have control over the money and not get mutual funds shoved down my throat as investment options?

3. If I cash out the annunity how much of the money can be invested into a ROTH IRA?

4. The original investment into the annunity was an after tax investment, if we were able to put the money in an ROTH IRA would we have to pay taxes on that money again, or just on the money that has been earned since in the annunity?

I know what we want to do with the money when we get it out of the annunity. But really would appreciate any help on the process involved in getting the money away from the Annunity and into a ROTH IRA with a discount broker.

ANY HELP WOULD BE FOOLISHLY APPRECIATED!!!!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.