No. of Recommendations: 2
How do you feel about the studies that show that people tend to spend a lot more if they use credit cards vs paying cash?

I don't put much faith in those studies. I can tell you that I always spend more when I use a credit card than when I use cash. That's because I only use cash if the expense is less than $10, but for anything over that, I use a credit card. That's for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that I like to get that cashback bonus, but also that I don't particularly like to carry a lot of cash, and so for expenses over $10, I might not even have that much cash on me and so choose to use my credit card for convenience.

So I choose the way I pay (cash vs. using a credit card) based on how much I have spent, but I don't spend more because I am choosing to use a credit card, so I find those studies to be flawed.

I get a ton of money back from my credit cards every year, and like Ray, we also used our Discover when we were building the house and got a ton back that year. I also used my AMEX to pay for my son's college tuition, and that 1.5% cash back on tuition really added up. I had to use an ACH transfer from my checking account for my daughter's tuition because her school charged a fee to use the credit card, and that was more than the cash bonus I would have seen.

I do find it's easier for me to spend money if it's just plastic versus green pieces of paper.

Since this is your particular behavior, then I agree with you that for you, it works better if you use cash than a credit card. It does not work that way for me, however, and so I am able to take advantage of the cash back bonus, and always pay my bill in full each month.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.