Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've been dating this guy for 2 weeks. We've moved really fast and decided to be exclusive already. We like each other a whole lot and love spending time together. He's also a cheapskate and saves money like crazy (like me).

I haven't been brave enough to bring up the subject of dumpster diving. I'm just so afraid he will get grossed out and want me to stop.

I have a feeling that he will be accepting of it because of his reaction to something I dived. I have a nice large rug covering the floor in my dining room. He asked me where I got it and I told him the truth -- it was draped over a dumpster outside of my apartment complex and I snagged it. He laughed and said that was pretty cool.

I think I'll wait a while though until I tell him that I actively look in dumpsters for stuff. My main thing is food diving and that's the part that people find particularly disgusting.

Dumpster diving may be pretty normal to you and me but to the rest of the population, it's disgusting and eccentric.

How did you tell your SO about your habbit?
Print the post Back To Top
>>My main thing is food diving and that's the part that people find particularly disgusting...

Now that is intriguing. Do tell. What are some of your food-diving highlights?

No. of Recommendations: 2
Dumpster diving may be pretty normal to you and me but to the rest of the population, it's disgusting and eccentric.

Yup, it sure is. I'm very careful whom I tell. Of course, people tell each other, but by the time many people have heard about my nasty disgusting habit, they know me, so they can weigh my nasty disgusting personality against my nasty disgusting habit. ;-)

Some people are actually interested. They wouldn't do it themselves, mind you, but they can see how I would.

How did you tell your SO about your habbit?

I started diving after we were married and he was already stuck with me. In fact, I started diving after we had kids old enough to help. I dived with my older son before he moved away, and now I dive with my younger son, Dwalin. My daughters, who are sandwiched in between my sons, think it's gross and disgusting. Silly girls!

phantomdiver
No. of Recommendations: 2
<<<Now that is intriguing. Do tell. What are some of your food-diving highlights?>>>

Highlights...I once found a case of beer. It was still cold and just a few of the bottles were broken. It was Miller Highlife though. It would have been perfect if it was sammy adams. I'm not a huge beer drinker so most are still in my fridge (been 3 months). I do get the urge for a beer now and then though so it's nice to have it.

A lot of people throw away stuff from yard sales in the grocery dumpster. I've found some clothes that way. I once found a sweater from mailboxes etc. (they're right next door) and I thought it was pretty cool. Unfortunately my washing machine destroyed it and stretched it way out.

Other notables: a whole pumpkin, unopened jar of Peter Pan peanut butter, toothbrushes, floss, toothpaste, makeup, razors, chapstick, vitamins, herb supplements, pens, mechanical pencils and refils, markers, ziplock bags, 750 styrofoam coffee cups, planting pots.

The grocery store that I dive at is very thoughtful -- they have 3 dumpsters and they put produce in one, bakery stuff in another and smelly stuff in the 3rd. I'm more careful with the smelly dumpster but I still look because I've found some good stuff in there.

On Friday's they throw away all kinds of bread. I'm out of sourdough so I need to stock up.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Phantomdiver:
<<<I started diving after we were married and he was already stuck with me>>>

Ya, I don't think I'll scare him away -- he likes me too much. I like him a whole lot too!

One thing about him though -- he spends a lot of money on food. I usually don't spend more than $30 a month on food but I think he spends more than that in a week. A couple of days ago he spent $30 at a Japanese grocery store. He didn't have that much stuff either. It was mostly pre-packaged and imported snacks from Japan.

I wonder if the Japanese place throws away any good stuff....
I wonder if the Japanese place throws away any good stuff....

You'll never know until you try! Let us know!

phantomdiver