Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
How does a loss when someone does a conversion from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA get accounted for?

It doesn't. All distributions from a Traditional IRA, whether they are used to do a conversion or not, are taxed at ordinary income rates. Whether you had a gain or a loss within the Traditional IRA doesn't matter - it's the value of what you are taking out on the date of the distribution.

It used to be that if you did a conversion, and then suffered a loss in the Roth after the conversion, you could do a recharacterization to move the money back to the Traditional IRA, wait a year (I think) and then do another conversion. But since the TCJA eliminated recharacterizations of Roth conversions, that option is no longer available.

Is there a loss carry over to future years to offset future gains from conversions?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.