No. of Recommendations: 1
How does the $95,000 income limit for Roth IRA contributions get calculated?

My specific problem is that my gross income may be over 95K this year (depending on bonuses and raises). However, I am making a 10K contribution to my 401K at work. Does this 10K get subracted from my Roth IRA income limit?

If this is going to be a problem, I already made my 2005 Roth contriubtion of 4K. What happens - does my bank make me put the 4K into a traditional IRA?

The calculations for the $95K limit can be found in Publication 590. It is based on your modified adjusted gross income. You would take your AGI on line 37 of your 1040 and then add in certain deductions and exclusions. The details are on page 54 of Pub. 590. Your 401k contribution will lower your AGI.

If your MAGI exceeds the income limits for a Roth contribution, you can recharacterize it to a traditional IRA. Since you can wait until April of next year to recharacterize, you could wait until your file your 2005 tax return to see if you really did exceed the income limits.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590.pdf

IF
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.