Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm relatively new to investing, and I'm an II and SA subscriber, but I have a question related to taxes that up to this point in my life I've never had to deal with. Any explanation/advice would be helpful.

As far as capital gains are concerned, how do you figure out on what amount you owe tax? Is it the price you sold the stock for minus what you paid for it, or is it on the full amount of the sale? Also, what if I sold a stock this year that I bought last year? Does the same answer still apply?

Finally, in the same way that you're allowed to contribute to an IRA up to April 15th of the current calendar year for tax considerations of the previous year, can you do the same with capital gains/losses? That is, if I sold a stock this year (up until April 15) that I bought last year, for a gain, can I apply the tax on the gain to my 2006 return, or do I wait and apply it next year to my 2007 return?

These assume purchases and sales in taxable accounts. I'd appreciate anyone's feedback. Thanks!

PT
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.