No. of Recommendations: 19
And the Guardian?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2211961/Eric-Hobsbaw...

On Monday evening, the BBC altered its programme schedule to broadcast an hour-long tribute to an old man who had died aged 95, with fawning contributions... The next day, the Left-leaning Guardian filled not only the front page and the whole of an inside page but also devoted almost its entire G2 Supplement to the news. The Times devoted a leading article to the death, and a two-page obituary. Yet I do not believe that more than one in 10,000 people in this country had so much as heard of Eric Hobsbawm, the fashionable Hampstead Marxist who was the cause of all this attention. He had, after all, been open in his disdain for ordinary mortals.

Hobsbawm took part in one of the most extraordinary conversations ever on British television. Speaking in 1994 about the fall of the Berlin Wall five years earlier, the historian was asked how he felt about his earlier support for the Soviet Union. If Communism had achieved its aims, but at the cost of, say, 15 to 20 million people - as opposed to the 100 million it actually killed in Russia and China - would Hobsbawm have supported it? His answer was a single word: "Yes."

Just imagine what would happen if some crazed Right-winger were to appear on BBC and say that the Nazis had been justified in killing six million Jews in order to achieve their aims. We should be horrified... Yet the awful thing about the phenomenon of Eric Hobsbawm is that the exact opposite to this is what happened. He was awarded a Companion of Honour by Tony Blair - one of the highest accolades it is possible to bestow upon a British intellectual. A professor of history, he was regularly lionised on the BBC and in the liberal newspapers as our "greatest" historian.

The article goes on to point out Hobsbawm's falsification of history in his books, including the whitewash of both Soviet and Nazi atrocities. I'm surprised he didn't win a Nobel Prize.

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Ugh, I actually have one of his books. I was a history major, primarily European history with a focus on the world wars. Impossible to take those kinds of classes and not have a Hobsbawm book as a required text in one of them.
No. of Recommendations: 0
He didn't win the Nobel peace prize 'cos EUROPE did....<grin>....pity the Holocausters et al didn't have a seat on the NOBEL (NOBLE!!?) board of infamy..............someone turned the World upside down and the BBC is continuing it's spin to keep the World that way............idiots in la la land..............