No. of Recommendations: 2
I officially reached "my number" that I've been targeting as a minimum for retirement (based on the 4% draw rate) last week. I'm 58. But I'm still working, for a couple of reasons: a) I keep thinking we are due for a significant market downturn in the near future and that wouldn't be a good thing for a new retiree so I want some extra cushion in my "number" (note: I've been wrong about this expectation for at least four years running now) , and b) Living on the 4% draw would be livable but a little thinner than I want, until I start drawing social security, at which point I should be fine and dandy, even if I started with the lowest monthly amount at age 62.

I'm pretty obstinate about #a above for a variety of reasons, but #b is one that I'm wondering about and would like to develop some sense of how flexible I could be. I know I should be able to draw something more than 4% for a few years, until I start receiving social security. Does anyone have a good system for computing how much extra draw I could take on a 3 to 5 year basis before starting SS? Compute a present value for the Social Security, and add that to my current investment value, and then compute 4% on the new total (and subsequently when I start to draw SS, that would reduce what I take from my investments)?

Hope that makes sense.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.