Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
It is fair to say that technology will never cease to impress us. I cannot imagine for a second what it would be like without my smartphone or an internet connection anymore. It’s probably a bad thing too, but at the end of the day, this is the world I am living in. I often travel to get away from it all, but there are those moments where I just cannot resist. My own self-company inside my head is sometimes just not enough to quell my boredom. I have to find the internet, and I want content from home just because I miss my home.

I speak both French and English, but mostly I find myself communicating in English these days. I work in Holland and so there are not that may French speakers so English is the only way we can communicate as my Dutch is not that great.

With my job, I am lucky enough to travel a lot because I work for 5 weeks, then I have 5 weeks off. As I am single, I can see the world without any strings attached. My adventures spread far across the globe through Africa, South East Asia, and South America with more to come I am sure.

A lot of the time I find myself in remote areas such as my most recent journey into Burma (Myanmar). I have also seen some extraordinary cities like Hanoi in Vietnam. When I do get to the cities or somewhere I can get onto the internet, I crave for movies, news, blogs and so on. The issue is that logging onto something like Netflix from these countries usually gives me the Netflix Americain version of its site.

Also, some of the content I try to look at online is blocked because I need to be in France to get that content. There is also the BBC, which I am always interested in because they provide some great video content, but unless I am in the UK, an error appears that says this content is not available in my location. In fact, BBC video content is only available in the UK.

Luckily, I Found A Way To Get My French Channels and BBC Content Satisfaction

Silly me thinking I am so tech savvy that I had no idea I could access Netflix us en France and watch American Netflix and watch the French Netflix version from anywhere in the world simply by using VPN software from https://www.lesmeilleursvpn.com/guide-vpn-faq/acceder-aux-si.... That’s all I needed, and I found a package that was free. After a while, the free version was a little slow because I used up all my allocated bandwidth and decided to upgrade, which was as cheap as my subscription is to Netflix.

Using the VPN I can access servers from all over the world. The USA, UK, France, and so on. Plus, I can get films that come with language selections as well as subtitles I can understand if I fancy watching world films – as there are quite a few good films in Asian or African that are not available on other Netflix from other countries. I can then get a feel for the culture of the country I am visiting by watching their films and picking up tips that books such as Lonely Planet may have overlooked (although Lonely Planet is great by the way!).

I hope that anyone reading this that likes to travel or simply wants to watch or see content from other countries that is geo-restricted. I found the VPN most handy in China where Facebook is not allowed. I was able to get online and chat to family and friends by using the VPN to connect any country that allows Facebook, so please don’t think this article is only for those that travel.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.