Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
While reading the comments at the "Why I Own ARK Invest ETFs" at SeekingAlpha I came across some truly "bearish" and even insulting opinions which I tend to dismiss but I got curious about the issue. The Captain's ARK shows these results for the six ARK ETFs:

Ticker 6 M% 3 M% 2 M% 1 M% Company

ARKF 8.8 -14.5 -3.0 -6.9 ARK Fintech Innovation ETF
ARKG 12.0 -25.7 -5.0 -7.8 ARK Genomic Revolution ETF
ARKK 9.2 -26.6 -6.3 -9.2 ARK Innovation ETF
ARKQ 28.4 -15.5 0.4 -4.7 ARK Autonomous Technology & Robotics ETF
ARKW 11.1 -21.9 -6.0 -8.9 ARK Next Generation Internet ETF
ARKX n/a n/a n/a -1.8 ARK Space Exploration & Innovation ETF

ARK is very careful to state that their aim is to achieve better than 15% annual returns which by any measure is great if it is sustained over the long term. Based on the six month returns, the worst performing ETF had over 17.6% CAGR during this "market rotation."

Is it worth adding a one year column to The Captain's ARK?

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Captain.

In her interview with CNBC yesterday, Cathie Wood stated because of this current correction we are in and how they used it to reshuffle their holdings, now she is positive they will achieve between 25 to 30% annual return.

https://youtu.be/ntvD_WqkgfQ

Also that one year column will be very helpful too.

Regards,

Bella
No. of Recommendations: 1
In her interview with CNBC yesterday, Cathie Wood stated because of this current correction we are in and how they used it to reshuffle their holdings, now she is positive they will achieve between 25 to 30% annual return.

This is a bit disingenuous, if your stocks drop 40% in price but the long term future remains the same, the 15% long term expectation converts to 25% from the bottom. So, 25% for bottom fishers and 15% for old timers.

If you buy the dip... I sold some TSLA at 860 and 830 mid January and now is a good time to buy. I bought some recently at 738.26 and 664.00.

Denny Schlesinger
I have not traded anything. No buying or selling. Left the portfolio to recover or die on its own. LOL

Kidding well for some part of the comment. I am using barcharts daily to identity any "sell" candidate so i can sell and get out of. So far everything i own is at the bottom of the pit and at the "buy" zone.

Patience something i dont have but am trying to practice. 😊

Bella
No. of Recommendations: 6
Patience something i dont have but am trying to practice. 😊

This is not an easy time for growth investors. Saul has posted often about how his portfolio was hit and then recovered. The "secret" is to buy "sturdy" companies that bounce back. I don't mean "sturdy" the way value investors see it, for them no high growth, high/no P/E, or high P/S stock is worth buying. I mean sturdy from a business model point of view which does not mean they can't go broke but the odds are in favor of bouncing back. Take ROKU, down over 40% from its high and they just released a fantastic earnings report, growth on steroids...

https://softwaretimes.com/pics/roku-05-08-2021.gif

I am using barcharts daily to identity any "sell" candidate so i can sell and get out of. So far everything i own is at the bottom of the pit and at the "buy" zone.

Suppose you own ROKU, would it make sense to sell when it gets back to your purchase price? The purchase price is irrelevant, what counts is the future. Every day at market open you start a new game the base price being yesterday's close. From here, can you make money or lose. That's the basis for selling, holding, or adding -- nothing else. I added ROKU on April 1 and TSLA on April 26 and on May 6.

Denny Schlesinger
I wont be selling TSLA, or SHOP or even TTD. Not even CRWD or PLTR.
These are leaders for now and for many years to come in my opinion so price fluctuations are irrelevant and i wont sell anytime soon.unless something changes.
But i do own companies that i do not understand nor have as high of a conviction on. Those are what i scan daily for a chance to sell so i have a cash reserve to buy more of those sturdy stocks during any dips.
This will also allow me to get in and out of stocks with the use of trading blocks which will idealistically be a portion of my portfolio seperate from.long term holds.

Bella
I have not traded anything. No buying or selling. Left the portfolio to recover or die on its own. LOL

Me too.
But I did move some out and bought ones Saul added.

Easy to move stocks around when they are ALL IN THE RED LOL
Funny enough from Saul type of stocks DDOG & CRWD

Saul is a master at his stock picking i agree but i believe in my selection too so wont be catching up on his port.

I am trying to use Quill's method for non permanent part of the portfolio and swing trade.

Bella
I followed Saul out of OKTA.

I also sold TDOC. I still believe in the promise of the concept... I just think that with more people being vaxed, and relaxing of the lockdown policies, more and more people will go back to f2f office visits. Therefore, less demand for TDOC services.

In addition, the health care providers with whom I'm familiar, are working HARD to build their own telehealth processes. And, these health INDUSTRY entities have the home field- they control how their victims interact with the healthcare providers. They will not willingly give up a percentage gain to TDOC... TDOC has significant competition, IMO.

🤔
ralph is vaxed 2x.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Hi Captain!

I think that adding a 1 year column would be very helpful. I haven't worked out exactly how I'm going to use the ARK, but when I do, I'll report on it.

A thought came to me when I was reading this thread..... it would be really neat if everyone who is using the ARK and have come up with a methodology of some sort would post on how they are using it.

I'm sure we could all learn something. I know that I don't post a lot because I don't feel I have anything to add to the conversation. I'm finding that I was wrong. I've received nothing but positive posts and emails from the little bit of posting that I have done. In other words if you're using the ARK please post about it. I think we would all be interested.

Thanks,

Darryl
A thought came to me when I was reading this thread..... it would be really neat if everyone who is using the ARK and have come up with a methodology of some sort would post on how they are using it.

That's what the boards are all about and the reason I don't like email where only two people benefit. As a matter of fact, I'm also trying to figure out how to best use The Captain's ARK. The first selection was simple enough but the ongoing portfolio maintenance or rotation is proving more elusive.

I hope lots of Fools take up your suggestion. Thanks!

Denny Schlesinger
Hi Denny

I’ve just registered at Captain's ARK and am attempting to fill the lists.

The BlackList worked fine.

However I can’t get the WhiteList to work at all.
I’m using an iPad running IOS 14.4.2
I type in a ticker into the “Add” box and then click on “Add ticker” but nothing happens.

Any ideas?

ColinT
I type in a ticker into the “Add” box and then click on “Add ticker” but nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Yes. The code is written for laptops. After you enter the symbol you click the "Tab" key and the symbol is verified. If valid the "Add Ticker" button becomes active. On iPads and smartphones, click to the right of the text box and that should work.

Let me know.

Denny Schlesinger
Thanks for the reply.

I tried your suggestion but without any success. Wherever I clicked I couldn’t get the text box to deactivate. And thus the Add button to activate.

Has anyone else used an iPad? Successfully?

Thanks

Colin
I tried your suggestion but without any success. Wherever I clicked I couldn’t get the text box to deactivate. And thus the Add button to activate.

This "feature" has been bugging me. Let me see if I can fix it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Denny Schlesinger
I've made some changes and you might need to empty caches before they work properly.

Click the add button after entering the symbol.

Lot me know if it works.

Denny Schlesinger
Thanks Captain!

The add button is much better (chrome browser on my laptop) than trying to guess where to click near the text box. It works great for me.

Leana
Leana, glad you like it!

Thanks for the feedback.

Denny Schlesinger
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hello Captain & Everyone
I am using an androi dphone. Addiing a ticker to whitelist was working previously by typingthe ticker in the box and clicking beside the box to make company info appear.

Now it is much easier because the add button is very visible.

Added a few more tickers just to try it out and it works great.

Thank you Captain 😊🙏

Bella
I cleared the Safari cache.
Logged in.
Went to White List.
Entered ticker.
Clicked Add.
Clicked Add Ticker.

It worked!

Well done Denny!

Colin
Bella, aka Grasshopper,

"Com on man" what did Simon tell you to do on 4/28/21 with ARKK, G, F, W, Q and X on 4/30 in order to protect your ASSets. You know the rules. We WAIT for the next buy signal.

Quillnpenn - a poor church mouse scratching for a living as a Swing Trader for over 45 years.
------------ Vision - Multi-Millionaire.....Goal - earn 1.3% - 2.5% compounded Daily
I play on the ARK but have no money to buy and charts telling me i will be too silly to sell here.

This grasshopper is holding on tight for now.

I dont have any of the ARKS's but plenty of stocks from their portfolio purchased at the most wrong time dhown on the bar. Ouch! 😳

Bella
Bella,

whoever your Piped Piper is should be fired for frontrunning you to buy stocks under the guise of recommendations. Charts don't lie, people do.

You know Simon would never have allowed you to make a miscalculation.

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/TTD/interactive-chart...

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/TSLA/interactive-char...

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/SHOP/interactive-char...

Quill - enjoy the training and see ya around the campus.
Denny, any way to add a column that scrapes the stock price?
Helps when trading options as doing the math on the capital at risk per contract

Just a thought.

RWW

Com on man" what did Simon tell you to do on 4/28/21 with ARKK, G, F, W, Q and X on 4/30 in order to protect your ASSets. You know the rules. We WAIT for the next buy signal.

Quill

Still trying to understand. Looking at this post from may you said 4/28 was the day to get out

With the 13 and 50 ema, it looks like they crossed on 3/3, wouldn’t you have sold then? And then re bought on 6/18 when they crossed again?

Thanks...

https://www.barchart.com/etfs-funds/quotes/ARKK/interactive-...
Candy,

The following chart shows the 13 crossing over the 50 EMA.

the signal was on or about March 4th, 2021, and a buy signal on or about June 21st.

https://schrts.co/pVqbivSj

https://www.barchart.com/etfs-funds/quotes/ARKK/interactive-...
I believe you were looking at the Moving Average Triangle (5) and Moving Average Weighted (10)

we look for the green line crosses up and over the red line heading north into positive territory.

Place your cursor on 6/8/2021.

The bottom panel shows on about 5/14 as a confirmation signal.

https://www.barchart.com/etfs-funds/quotes/ARKK/interactive-... is a 1 month chart.

This chart is on autopilot where you do nothing but WAIT - BUY - SELL signal.

So we have to wait tomorrow between 9:45 am and 10 am for something to do.

For exercise, place a piece of paper over the 6/7 date and observe what to do per the rules.

okay move the piece of paper one bar to the right and observe what to do. 6/7 is shown with nothing to do.
okay move the piece of paper one bar to the right and Rinse, Repeat and Stir over and over.

Hope this can help

best regards,

Quillnpenn -

- - - - - - - - -

Please review the below rules for Simon Sez II at your leisure. The moving averages are background information.

Simon Sez II. "Wait-one bar ARC to ARC" rule signal **

Re: Barchart.com

When an ARC aka Smiley Face appears do the following:

1 ) For the TOP ARC, we wait and wait until the next day when the price drops below the high signal to SELL the stock.

2 ) For the BOTTOM ARC, we wait and wait until the next day when the price bar is rising upwards to BUY the stock.

eg....https://www.barchart.com/etfs-funds/quotes/QQQ/interactive-c... a BUY signal has occurred on 10/04/19. We are now waiting for the next SELL signal.

For the very first time when viewing a chart, the default will go to Frequency: Daily 6 months. You can change the months to 2M or 1M or any time periods that will make you comfortable when viewing the Chart.

3 ) How to add the Stochastic RSI to the bottom: click on the study tab just above the chart and scroll down to Stochastic RSI and then click the apply tab. The RSI act as our confirmation tool. Look to the right side of the Over Sold (pink area)crossover to buy the stock.

** "Wait-one bar" rule signal is when the ARC appears, we wait for the next bar to the right to either rise or go down indicating a BUY or a SELL signal.
@QuillnPenn,

This post on Jun 30 2021 seems to be the most recent for the Simon Sez II rules.. It's again a 'Wait One Bar' rule. This also indicates, the rules are very similar to the Petty Cash rules that we discussed yesterday.
Please confirm. And thank you!

Since some of your earlier Simon Sez II posts mention the following rules:
SELL @:
RED ARC: appears on the top of a candle (indicating an immediate SELL)
GREEN ARC: appears on top of a candle ( wait for one lower bar to confirm SELL )

BUY @:
GREEN ARC: appears below a candle (indicating an immediate BUY)
RED ARC: appears below a candle ( wait for one higher price bar to confirm BUY)

Based on these, I did take a trade on BABA on Jul 8, as soon as I got a GREEN ARC at the base of a candle ( StochRSI did confirm >.20 ) which worked ok thankfully!

I appreciate your help!