No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm doing a tour of the states.

What does Colorado have to offer??

Penny

----------

Mountains, glorious, take-your-breath away Mountains

Skiing, world class skiing

Hiking

River Rafting, World Class , esp. in late spring (late April - early June)

History.....mining towns, ghost towns, etc

Culture: Denver museums, C. Springs Art Museum

Sights:
-- Royal Gorge Bridge, 1067 feet above the Arkansas River
-- Great Sands Dunes....39 square miles of 700 foot dunes, at 7000' altitude in the San Juan Valley
-- Pike's Peak....14,11o' of America's Mountain
-- Views stupendous and amazing

One of only two US Mints (Denver)

Dinosaur bones galore up in NW corner (and over into Utah)

World Heritage Site: The Anasazi Ruins at Mesa Verde, ruins of a civilization that flourished 1000 years ago...in your days of Canterbury....

Anyone else want to add??

Sir Yoda

Print the post Back To Top
Oh wow, Penny!

Colorado has snow... lots of it... gorgeous mountains... scenery... microbreweries... the Colorado Avs if you are into hockey... wide open ranges with roaming herds of Antelope, Elk and Deer...

What exactly did you have in mind??

Are you traveling alone or with company?? If you stop in Denver, you are more than welcome to stay with me...

CaveGirl
<Colorado Hostess>
Brilliantly stated... I have much to explore...

CaveGirl
No. of Recommendations: 4

- Garden of the Gods
- Denver Botanical Gardens, esp. the Japanese Garden
- IMAX (there's a new movie out)
- trout fly-fishing
- snow-shoeing
- Maroon Bells
- Aspen
- Telluride
- the Georgetown train
- Elk rutting at Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park
- Little Bear (cool bar in Conifer,Evergreen?)
- The Church (cool dance club in Denver)

----------------

I want to hear more about this one~!

CaveGirl
p.s. Good Morning!!
How about adding:

Cave of the Winds
Central City/Blackhawk and Cripple Creek (for those gamblers)
Hiking
4-Wheeling
Ghost Towns
Heritage Square Opera House

Lots of stuff depending on what your into or looking for.

Wayne
No. of Recommendations: 10
Mountains, glorious, take-your-breath away Mountains

Skiing, world class skiing

Hiking

River Rafting, World Class , esp. in late spring (late April - early June)

History.....mining towns, ghost towns, etc

Culture: Denver museums, C. Springs Art Museum

Sights:
-- Royal Gorge Bridge, 1067 feet above the Arkansas River
-- Great Sands Dunes....39 square miles of 700 foot dunes, at 7000' altitude in the San Juan Valley
-- Pike's Peak....14,11o' of America's Mountain
-- Views stupendous and amazing

One of only two US Mints (Denver)

Dinosaur bones galore up in NW corner (and over into Utah)

World Heritage Site: The Anasazi Ruins at Mesa Verde, ruins of a civilization that flourished 1000 years ago...in your days of Canterbury....

Sir Yoda
-----------

This sounds wonderful.

Lots to see and do.

How long are your winters? And how cold does it get?

Thanks,
Penny
No. of Recommendations: 9
Colorado has snow... lots of it... gorgeous mountains... scenery... microbreweries... the Colorado Avs if you are into hockey... wide open ranges with roaming herds of Antelope, Elk and Deer...

What exactly did you have in mind??

Are you traveling alone or with company?? If you stop in Denver, you are more than welcome to stay with me...

CaveGirl
<Colorado Hostess>
====

Thanks Cavey,

You're such a sweetie.

Colorado sounds great, but I'm concerned about the weather.
My hubby & I (& kids) are searching for a place to relocate when he retires in a few years. We have young (6 & 9) children and I will still need to be employeed - so we have many "needs" on our list.

We like to use our vacations to try out different places.
We both like it warm. We are tired of harsh winters.
We do want to visit Colorada in the next few years. I'll see if we will be visiting Denver, I can't imagine not.

C-ya,
Penny
- Garden of the Gods
- Denver Botanical Gardens, esp. the Japanese Garden
- IMAX (there's a new movie out)
- trout fly-fishing
- snow-shoeing
- Maroon Bells
- Aspen
- Telluride
- the Georgetown train
- Elk rutting at Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park
---------------

These will be added to list of things to do....

Penny
loves planning vacations
Thanks Wayne,

I'll have to plan on 3 weeks just "to do" Colorada.

Penny
Penny,

You asked about winters in Colorado. Well, of course the two biggest determinants on weather ate latitude and altitude. Denver is roughly the latitude of D.C., we are futher south than some think we are. The front range (the east side of the Rockies) averages 6000' or so, before you are really in "the Mts" proper. Two hours west of Denver or Colorado Springs you can easily be at 10,000 - 12,000 feet (and we have 54 peaks that are at or above 14,000 feet). The winters in the Mts proper can be harsh and cold, with lots of snow.

But, surprising, both Denver & C. Springs enjoy fairly mild winters. Coldest I've seen it here (outside the Mts proper) in my three years is probably low 20s/upper teens. And I have seen 70 degree days in Dec, too. Even when it does get cold, it just doesn't last. 3-5 days later, temps will return to 40s or even 50s. Winter here (outside the Mts) starts in Dec and is effectively over in EARLY March. Meanwhile, skiing starts in Oct and some resorts stay open until mid-June (one tries to close on the 4th of July). But, that's up in the Mts, not down on the Front Range.

C. Springs doesn't get much snow, on average. I'd guess 18-24 inches total over the winter (Garden of the Gods gets 15 inches of precip a YEAR, as it is shadowed by Pikes Peak). Of course, three years ago, we got an October blizzard that dumped something like 32 inches of snow!

What Mark Twain said about New Englan weather applies well to Colorado: If you don't like it, wait 5 minutes.....it'll change!

Sir Yoda

------

The World's largest flat top mountain (40 miles of mesa near Grand Junction).

A very diverse landscape from desert in the west to the backbone of the Rockies down the middle, to plains out east.

Some of the weirdest freaking geology you will ever see out west.

The Wizard
*From the Western Slope*
*Loves the Desert*
*Happiest when it's 110 degrees in the shade*
This sounds wonderful.

Lots to see and do.

How long are your winters? And how cold does it get?

Thanks,
Penny

------

We don't really have winter here in Colorado. Except for the mountains I guess. What we do have is periodic days of snow that can drop anywhere from an inch to two feet of snow. Regardless, the snow is usually melted in two to three days, and then we have 40-60 degree temperatures for a couple of weeks until the next snow storm. Winter starts around this time, and ends at the end of March.

The Wizard
*Lived here all his life*
Colorado sounds great, but I'm concerned about the weather.
My hubby & I (& kids) are searching for a place to relocate when he retires in a few years. We have young (6 & 9) children and I will still need to be employeed - so we have many "needs" on our list.

-------

Go to Grand Junction. No winter at all, (very hot in summer though), but it is a great place to raise children.

The Wizard
*Raised in GJ*
We do want to visit Colorada in the next few years. I'll see if we will be visiting Denver, I can't imagine not.
~~~
Penny... I would also suggest that you may want to look at Colorado Springs. We are 50 miles south of Denver, and eventhough the winters do have weather, snow and all the accompantments, it is somewhat more mild... sometimes.

PIJ... . {-:
http://www.geocities.com/seymore313/
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/seymore313/

No. of Recommendations: 2
I don't recall how many posts ago but there was a similar question from another person about places to retire/relocate in Colorado.

Good Luck!
I don't recall how many posts ago but there was a similar question from another person about places to retire/relocate in Colorado.

That was me. I'm actually going to be flying out there this weekend to check out property. I'll only have time for either Saguache Co (San Luis Valley) and Huerfano Co (west of Walsenburg, Sheep Mtns, very cheap!)

OR

Montrose/San Miguel CO's. There's a 90-acre spot completely surrounded by BLM. Talk about getting away from it all. Very primitive.

...and when I mentioned "retiring", I'm retiring from my current career (a computer tech) and maybe doing something else.

Irving T. Duck
We don't really have winter here in Colorado. Except for the mountains I guess. What we do have is periodic days of snow that can drop anywhere from an inch to two feet of snow. Regardless, the snow is usually melted in two to three days, and then we have 40-60 degree temperatures for a couple of weeks until the next snow storm. Winter starts around this time, and ends at the end of March.

The Wizard
*Lived here all his life*

=============================

Okay,
So it snows, we all go out a play, go sledding, be snow bunnies, drink hot chocolate and then it melts and it goes to 40-60 degrees and then we do it again in 3 weeks. You don't have 2 1/2 months of ice, sleet and freezing rain???

If this is true - I'm there.

Penny
packing
Go to Grand Junction. No winter at all, (very hot in summer though), but it is a great place to raise children.

The Wizard
*Raised in GJ*

===========

Thanks I'll check it out. We like very hot summers.

Penny
likes it hot
Penny... I would also suggest that you may want to look at Colorado Springs. We are 50 miles south of Denver, and eventhough the winters do have weather, snow and all the accompantments, it is somewhat more mild... sometimes.

PIJ... † . {-:
===============

Thank you, I have heard great things about Colorado Springs. I'll check it out also.

Penny
Thanks I'll check out old posts.

Penny
Penny

Depends on where in Colorado you end up living. I can remember cold fronts in Denver where temps hit -20 below and it was around 0 for a couple weeks. Last 5 years or so, I've had to water the grass in Dec/Jan and even mow twice! I can also remember when the snow sayed around for weeks at a time instead of days.

I think the Wizard is trying to say that his weather control skills have improved in the last several years.

Wayne
...and when I mentioned "retiring", I'm retiring from my current career (a computer tech) and maybe doing something else.
==========

This would be "us" also.

Let me know about that 90-acre primitive spot. Especially if you are not interested.

Penny
likes primitve; as long as I am connected.
temps hit -20 below and it was around 0 for a couple weeks.

=======

this is what I want to get away from

Penny
This would be "us" also.
Let me know about that 90-acre primitive spot. Especially if you are not interested.
Penny
likes primitve; as long as I am connected.

Um, I mean REAL primitive. There is a well from the previous owner who had a trailer parked out there, but there's no power, no phone (might be able to use a cell phone) and the roads are all dirt (SUV or pickup truck with high ground clearance required). Property is in an area with mines.

Access to any form of medical facilities may be at least an hour.

BUT, of course if I don't like what I see when I get out there, I'll let ya know!

Irving
Even when it does get cold, it just doesn't last. 3-5 days later, temps will return to 40s or even 50s. Winter here (outside the Mts) starts in Dec and is effectively over in EARLY March.

This doesn't sound to bad. I do like snow for a day or two, every so often. It's just the ice, sleet and freezing rain for 3 months that I can't stand.

Penny
BUT, of course if I don't like what I see when I get out there, I'll let ya know!

Irving
========

It does sound interesting. No power ???

I can deal with no phone, dirt roads and the long drive to the hospital, but no power?? Maybe it's not for me...

Penny
It does sound interesting. No power ???
I can deal with no phone, dirt roads and the long drive to the hospital, but no power?? Maybe it's not for me...

The locals (to this board, I live in Illinois) can probably give you a better picture of what areas have what amenities.

I'm looking at stuff that does not HAVE to have power, if it does, great. But I'm looking at stuff that was formerly ranch land, many of the people who live in these areas are running with solar or wind power.

This 90-acre spot is an anomaly as it's in a mining area in the middle of BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land, which typically doesn't have any marks of civilization running through it (no power lines, no pipelines, roads are barely there and not maintained for the general public).

Some folks were wondering if I was leaving to pull a Unabomber and live in a shack in the middle of nowhere and I replied, "You got it!" (except for the bombing part, ya know)....

Irving
Some folks were wondering if I was leaving to pull a Unabomber and live in a shack in the middle of nowhere and I replied, "You got it!" (except for the bombing part, ya know)....

==========

You'd be looking in Idaho, if you wanted to do the unabomber thing..

JUST JOKING!!!!!

Penny
Oh my gawd... I totally missed one!!

We have the Colorado Hotties!!

CaveGirl
<knows her hotties!>
Penny

Depends on where in Colorado you end up living. I can remember cold fronts in Denver where temps hit -20 below and it was around 0 for a couple weeks. Last 5 years or so, I've had to water the grass in Dec/Jan and even mow twice! I can also remember when the snow sayed around for weeks at a time instead of days.

I think the Wizard is trying to say that his weather control skills have improved in the last several years.

Wayne

------

True, what I said was a generalization, but it was not an overgeneralization. It does snow here, but if it does, typically you can be golfing within three or four days because it is melted already. That time frame extends to five or six days in Janurary and February. If Penny moves her family to Grand Junction however, she will not have to worry about snow at all. The average precipitation in GJ is eight inches per year. No snow at all, and a great place to raise a family.

The Wizard
*Trying to clarify*
Thank you, I have heard great things about Colorado Springs. I'll check it out also.
~~~
If you want to start here...

http://www.gazette.com/

Local paper online...

PIJ... . {-:

The Little Bear (which burned down a few months ago, but is rebuilt now) is on the "main street" in Evergreen.

Phil
Penny,

temps hit -20 below and it was around 0 for a couple weeks.
=======
this is what I want to get away from

Keep in mind that's very rare. I've lived in the Denver area over 35 years and I can only recall it being -15 or below 3 times in all that time.

Now, around 0 is more common. But as others have said, that only lasts a few days and when the sun comes out it'll be warm again. At least I see people hiking on the trails in shorts year round.

Phil
No. of Recommendations: 11
If you want to start here...

http://www.gazette.com/

Local paper online

------------

Thank you very much.

Penny
people hiking on the trails in shorts year round.
-----------

this is what I want.....................

Penny
happy