Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Well, thought I'd do an initial post to get my blog rolling.

I come from New Zealand, a country whose people are known for being some of the worst savers around - me included. Ever since earning a good living I've spent most of the money I've had. Now some of those things have been on items like houses, which I consider a good thing, but a lot was wasted on junk.

I was introduced to investment through my work's stock schemes as well as superannuation, but they were pretty passive endeavours and I gave little mind to them. When I did sell stock it was always when it had had a little jump and most of the time, it continued to grow afterwards.

Since discovering Motley Fool, if I've learned one thing, it's "be patient". So now I've hit 35, I've decided to actually start some investments. I'm a medium risk guy, and my wife's low risk so we need to balance that. I have a few individual stocks, in SYMC and NTDOY.OK. Primarly because the former was my employer and I learned a bit about the business that way, and the latter because I've been a video gamer some 25 years and have been following Nintendo quite closely the last year or so.

My main plans are to have most of our intial portfolio in a rental property and indexed funds. Now I just need to find the funds. Vanguard 500 will probably be one of them.

One thing I need to consider is that in New Zealand we currently don't have any Capital Gains Tax - which is brilliant for us who invest in overseas companies. Unfortunately the government is about to change that for overseas investments, so losing 39% of your returns when you realise them (You'll actually also have to pay on unrealised money in some cases!) makes offshore investments less attractive an so I'll start looking into the New Zealand and Australian markets.

Well that's it for now. I'll track my progress here from time to time.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.