Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
How lovely. More unethical and illegal use of the money. When you signed for those loans, you signed legal documents saying that the money was going to be used for education expenses.

I usually don't bother arguing with people in newsgroups because it's a no-win situation. I blew off the first couple references to "unethical" tactics because I had gotten the information I needed. When you start accusing someone of criminal activity with absolutely nothing to back it up, then that's a bit much. From his post (and his previous posts) it looks like he had the money to pay for college and he also qualified for interest-free loans. He took the loans to pay for college, kept his money in the bank earning interest, and paid off the loan when he got out of college. There is absolutely nothing in his posts to indicate any crime whatsoever. If he lied on forms or borrowed more than the educational expenses, you could argue a crime has been committed. But based on his post alone, you couldn't convict anybody of anything.

As for your often cited ethics violations, I would ask if you could direct me to the location of this code of ethics that financial aid applicants must adhere to above and beyond all applicable laws and government requirements. Since I will be starting on this process I intend to fully comply with any recognized ethical code of conduct in these matters, but I've never heard of the existence of one before. If you could tell me how to access it, I would greatly appreciate it. If not, I'll have to conclude that your protests of ethics violations would better be described as the whining of someone who doesn't like the fact that current laws and processes allow some people to qualify for aid who don't meet your approval and that you are trying to create the illusion of validity by using a term like "unethical" rather than simply saying that you don't think it's right. You are obviously more than welcome to your opinion, but lets not pretend that it is anything more than that.

I'm sure this is no shock, but there are many books on how to legally maximize financial aid eligibility. Consultants make a living helping people legally maximize financial aid eligibility. Even www.finaid.org devotes a section on strategies to legally maximize financial aid eligibility. Included in that section is how to shield both the student's and parent's assets from the process by staying below an income threshold and filing the correct tax forms. I can't address the books or consultants, but the FinAid site says, "We have not included any strategies that we consider unethical, dishonest, or illegal." I guess they didn't clear it through you.

We all are given the same set of rules to follow in the game. I fully intend to follow them. I also FULLY intend to play to win. There may be some people who feel I somehow have an obligation to play with one hand tied behind my back, but it ain't gonna happen.

Have a nice day and good luck to everyone trying to get a kid through college.
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.