Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
...how many are just replacing a perfectly working...

And then there are people like me, who have never purchased a television. I lived without one until my mid-20s, when my dad finally couldn't stand having nothing to watch when he came to visit. He went out and (without me, but did ask if it was okay) bought a TV that was pretty good for that time and place. I had that TV from 1995 or so until about 2007, when my brothers made a series of TV switches associated with their moves. Everyone got hand-me-downs, and I ended up with the smallest of their flat-screen TVs. Which was a relief to all the men in my family, who thought that my old TV was really outdated by then.

That one lasted until DH moved to DC and brought his somewhat larger flat-screen TV with him. The previous one is now in the basement, and here I am having lived for almost 50 years without ever buying a TV.

ThyPeace, of course, I've purchased plenty of computers, which are now nearly identical to TVs, so I'm not claiming any moral superiority. Just a lack of purchases of TVs. If I lived alone, I would probably never watch television at all.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.