No. of Recommendations: 1
How many playmates entered the contest and how many had less than 14% returns?

I find comparisons to an index useful, because if I were to not invest in individual stocks or have no interest in following individual companies I own I would be an index investor. Primarily because I believe they out perform mutual funds which you then have to follow to some extent.

If I knew that a basket of 3 or 5 or 10 or 20 stocks would beat the indexes consistently and could do zero research on the companies then I would compare to those. I suppose I could do some minimal research and come up with a basket to which I compare my returns consistently for the next 30 years but I am not going to spend the time, however minimal, following and managing a portfolio just for the sake of comparison.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.