Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, I am new to stocks scene and whilst we get a lot of tips from Motley Fool I noticed that many of the recommendations are for share prices $100+ - So if you are starting out how much should you invest - Not looking for immediate cash return but long term?? Awaiting some advice
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Naqavi,

When you are starting a new portfolio, it is best to buy an equal dollar amount of each stock.

If $500 is your target, buy 10 shares of a $50 stock while you would buy only 1 share of a $500 stock.

The important thing to remember, it is dollars invested. Share count is immaterial. Share count X Price = Dollars. Dollar amount!

Does that help you?

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, yes that makes sense, now the question if I was starting with $1000 what should I buy?
No. of Recommendations: 1
OP I think you should take some time and learn how to invest or better yet if you even want to invest. While I personally do both investing and trading, I know plenty of 'Fools' who trade as a daily routine. They've got a longer-term portfolio but also have cash ready to get in and out of momentum stocks in a few days as well.

Just saying "what should I buy" leaves you open to making the wrong choice just because, "someone told you". Start with education. In the long run, it will save you a lot!