Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi! I am new to self investing. Prior to this it has all been 401k let the advisor guide me. I have about 70,000 to invest. I am thinking of doing the ultimate portfolio, plus a few others. How many stocks too many? I know I need to diversify, but is 30 roughly the right number? It seems like while too little diversification is highly risky, to much leads you almost match the market. I want this portfolio to be on the high risk, high reward side. Thanks for the info.
Print the post Back To Top
Hi! I am new to self investing. Prior to this it has all been 401k let the advisor guide me. I have about 70,000 to invest.

Did your advisor get paid a commission or fee when buying or selling your stocks?

If so it's possible 'you' did more buying and selling than you needed to do.

Personally I buy and hold dividend paying stocks and reinvest the dividends. If I ever want to spend the dividends being paid to me I'd just tell my broker, Vanguard, to start sending me the money.

My experience and the word on the web is that the two cheapest/best (user friendly) brokerages are Vanguard and Fidelity.

https://investor.vanguard.com/corporate-portal/?CMPGN=BR:PS:...
"How many stocks too many?"

How many companies do you want to follow? Investing will entail reading up on the
specific company, knowing about the business/industry sector, following the company
press/business dealings, knowing their major competitors and such. That type of "due
diligence" takes a fair amount of time.

Howie52
Initially, following a few companies is all I could manage back when we started to look
into investing. We started with about 10 companies and followed them for a year to 2 years
back in the mid 1990s. Data was somewhat harder to come by at the time. But some folks find
the process absolutely mesmerizing while others find the process like pulling teeth.