No. of Recommendations: 0
How much do you want to invest-risk in each stock? Do you pay broker commissions & are they less expensive at some thresh holds?
I study industry sectors for a few days, before deciding on one stock to get in that sector, if any. For example I recently invested in AT+T because I hate what their competitors are doing to undermine privacy and security for their customers, and of the communications companies both doing well, and not hated by me, AT+T was doing the best.

The economy has been very slowly recovering from the Great Recession, with risk of it dipping again. Health Care is counter cyclical. In other words, when other industries sluggish, it doing great. It will also be more profitable thanks to Obama Care and baby boomers retiring, although if the Republicans are successful at cutting Medicare, then Health Care will take a big hit, I have already invested in Merck (MRK) & Pfizer (PFE), and am now considering getting a Health Care Fund.

I am also new Fool member. I am age 71, recently retired, rethinking my investment strategy. I have been in the market for decades, but do not consider myself to be sufficiently knowledgeable. During my over 50 years in IT, I was a work-a-holic, 50-65 hour weeks, without time or stamina to study much outside my career, but I was able to accumulate around 100k in 401k and investments

The market has recently increased volatility, with growing uncertainties.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.