No. of Recommendations: 0
Having received some job offers recently, I have wondered if there is some idea on what a good increase is to move to another job. I am in the computer training area - a growing field.

My offers have resulted in $4000-5500 more a year than my current salary for permanent positions with the same field, a bit more responsibility and in the same area of the country. Two contract positions each of a year's duration offered me about $12,000 more a year without benefits (which could be purchased for a little more than what I pay now)- I think contract work could be risky, so I haven't shown much interest in that area.

With a raise at my current job due in July 1998 those increases would be $2000-3500.

There isn't really any salary surveys that I know of publically available. I also realize that money should not be sole criterion, but assume that these jobs are essentially in the same field and provide some growth in technical skills and responsibility with similar benefit packages.

What is your experience? I would find it helpful to get a better idea of the amount of increases people take when they move to another position.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.