No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a question that my friends and I have been bantering about, and I think this Board would probably be able to help dramatically.

My situation is that I am happily married, 35, with child about to come. No debt whatsoever, been a saver all my life. Net worth is roughly 500K. Over half of my savings are in excellent tech stocks, I anticipate they are going to grow very quickly for the next few years at least. My wife and I have no desire for a home, since we have lived internationally and prefer to be able to move if necessary without a mortgage blocking our job opportunities. For us, a large apartment or rented house remains just fine. And, I genuinely want to work for another 5 years at least, I like the field of work I do.

Question: At what figure of net worth can we seriously begin planning for early retirement? A year or two ago, my thoughts were rather naive, that a huge figure like 3 million was necessary. However, I realized that much, much less is needed assuming assets are invested properly and we do not retire to an expensive location.

I would be grateful for this Board's experience as to what general threshold is appropriate to consider early retirement under the above circumstances. Please do not just refer me to some other website, since chances are I have already been there. What I hope for is sincere, practical advice based on the experience of the many wise people on this Board.

Thank you.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.