No. of Recommendations: 0
How much time do you find you spend maintaining your pool?

My style is like Warren Buffet's investment style - lethargy bordering on sloth.

I have a cartridge filter, which means it typically needs me to pull the cartridge and spray it with the garden hose every couple of weeks. That's a 10 minute job. If I don't do this, as the filter clogs, flow is reduced, and my suction cleaner doesn't move around. It's a remarkably effective indicator when it's time to clean the filter.

I test the water once in a blue moon - great test kit from tftestkits.net Chlorine and pH are the ones to check most often, but once you have a feel for your pool and everything dialed in you really don't do it very often. I might check calcium and alkalinity twice year. pH and chlorine once a month, maybe a little more. CYA (stabilizer) once or twice a year.

The more regular stuff - clean the skimmer baskets once a week or so. I tend to net the pool any time I'm getting in. Brushing the walls is more physical, and something you probably need to do once or twice a week during the hot months. Keeps algae from growing a film on the sides (even with proper chlorine levels). I don't do this quite as often as I should. Again, it's a 10 minute job, but varies depending on the size of the pool. Mine is a typical 15x30', about 6 feet deep.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.