Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I need help on how much money I should be saving. I'll give some background and also list the advice I was given.

28, Married with two kids. I recently got a nice promotion. For the first time I am equipped to invest fairly aggressively into my retirement.

Current Base Salary: 118000
Bonus:25% of Base salary on an annual basis.
Live in East Tennessee
I have a mortgage and just bought a new vehicle, otherwise I have no debt.

Our retirement planner at work suggested I put 15% into 401k. My company matches 75% upto 6% of my salary. Additionally he suggested maxxing out a Roth IRA for both my wife and myself. Additionally my company offers a fixed fun which is guaranteed 6% return, compounded daily. He also suggested that i put the maximum annual contribution into this, which is 10K.

Therfore that is 17500(limit) into 401K + 5310 company match. 11000 into Roth IRA's. 10000 into the Fixed Fund.
Total Savings is 43810.

Is this excessive? Seems like I could be enjoying some of that money rather than saving so much.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.