Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 62
As some of you know on Tuesday May 8th my Dad went into the hospital due to some serious complications from pace maker surgery. What followed was an 8 day journey my family won't soon forget. Just past the middle of this time was Mothers day and this is how my Mom spent it.

She was up early that day as she was on all the days of this before it. A quick breakfast and then off to St. Mary's hospital to be with my dad. She was there to help him eat breakfast. She was there to help him eat his lunch. She was there to greet each of us kids as we came to visit with a smile and a hug. She sat at his side and caressed his face, ran her fingers through his hair and whisper sweet nothings that made him giggle when giggling was the furthest thing from his mind. She was his strength when his strength had fled (and mine too though she doesn't know it). She was there when his stomach wouldn't let him eat his dinner. And when they added yet another bag to his IV rack that had now become a tree. And she was there nearly 10 hours after she arrived when visiting hours were over and she had to leave. But my Dad saw that she was there. He drew from that strength and was encouraged by the touch and the sweet nothings. And he got better. He surprised us all by being able to come home just 3 days later. I think my Mom is the strongest woman I know. And so with a tip of my hat to the BI gang and my friends at GMS this gold star post is to my Mom. I hope next year we celebrate Mothers day at home.

Ed
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.