Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
How on earth does one learn about this stuff?

It should take you only about 15 minutes to download Form 6251 and its separate instructions and, using the numbers from your 2004 return, get a rough idea of whether AMT will affect you. The form looks daunting, but I doubt lines 8 through 27 apply to you. The only complication you may have, IIRC, is AMT income over $112,500, which requires extra computation.

2005 will be the second year of high income for me, and thank god I took the advice of my coworker and started seeing her accountant, or I would have no clue on earth about AMT. Do I just trust him to figure out which way I have to pay? What type of things trigger AMT vs. just paying the regular way?

A combination of high income and high state and local tax deductions can trigger it. (Again, looking at only your situation.)

If I have to pay AMT, do I have to start making quarterly payments in addition to the tax that's withheld from my paychecks?

Probably not. Look at the "total tax" on your 2004 return. If your 2005 withholding will total at least that much (110% of it if your 2004 AGI was $150,000), you don't have to make 2005 estimated tax payments.

The tax code is way too complicated for the average American.

Make sure to remind your representatives in Congress when they start yammering about how we need tax simplification, especially if they were there in 2001. If they have voted for a tax bill that passed, they've contributed to the problem.

Phil

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.