Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
How should I divvy up the % of each investment as far as stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc.?

You should be 100% equities. An S&P 500 Index fund is usually the best place to begin. I would avoid bonds and fixed income investments (unless a major development makes a stock market crash seem likely.

Rather than split each contribution between multiple funds, my practice was to put 100% of this years contribution in one, and then review at the end of the year and switch contributions if one of the other choices has better potential. I usually would not move funds from one fund to another (except company stock fund that tended to be cyclical). Hence, over time you gradually accumulate a diversified portfolio.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.