No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Folks,

I have broken down. I have seen the reality of my spending ways and now it's time to clean up my mess.

Here is my situation:
1) I can scrounge together $5500 to spend by the end of the next month to pay down debt.
2) Each month I can pull together $2000 to pay off debt.

Here are my debts:
1) Credit Card:
- Total: $568
- Interest: 16.90%
- Monthly: $43/mo
2) Car Loan:
- Total: $14,382.10
- Interest: 3.99%
- Monthly: $265/mo
3) Student:
- Total: $15,448.68
- Interest: 3.25%
- Monthly: $212/mo
4) Credit Card:
- Total: $3739.74
- Interest: 0.00%*
- Monthly: $0/mo
- *0% interest until Until April 2016 then 16.9%
5) IRS:
- Total: $5593.00
- Interest: 0.00%
- Monthly: $558/mo
6) New Heater:
- Total: $9038.00
- Interest: 0.00%
- Monthly: $150/mo

I have $6,000 set aside in savings for emergency use only or helping with security deposit if necessary. However I'm open to some creativity with it here.

I have $3,000 in car maintenance that's about to go on a credit card since I don't currently have the cash put together. It will take a month after the payment is made to start accruing interest.

Currently I am torn between going after the credit card/car maintenance and the IRS with the $5500 I can scrounge together. The money I owe the IRS technically has something negligible like $13 total interest on it. I have a payment plan with the IRS for $558 and it will be paid off by the end of the year. While I know that paying off the credit card or the pending car maintenance is the most logical choice, interest wise, the idea of freeing up $558 a month almost immediately seems like it merits value as well.

That said... the IRS will be paid off by the end of the year and my eagerness might be clouding my judgement. The flexibility would be nice, but I could always wait it out and go after the credit cards first.

The pros of paying the IRS first:
- Serious Government Branch I want to stay on good terms with
- Frees up $558 a month

The pros of paying credit card/car maintenance first:
- Less total money paid over time

I'm sure this isn't the most unique conundrum in the world but I'd love your insight.

Thanks!
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.