No. of Recommendations: 0
My older sister got into some serious trouble about 6 years ago. House was foreclosed on, car repossessed, filed for bankruptcy, the whole shebang. A couple weeks ago my parents started getting an automated call once a day asking for my sister to call them back (using her old, pre-divorce name that she hasn't used in over 10 years). I was pretty sure it was a debt collector.

We over at my parents' house on Sunday, and they got the call. DS called back. It went to a voicemail, and she left a message saying not to call her parents' again, and gave her cell phone number. (Oy! Hope she doesn't come to regret that!)

A few minutes later, a call came on my parents' line, from a person claiming that she owed $11,000 on her repossessed car. They were gracious enough to offer to take a one-time payment of $6,000. DS was really upset, so I told her to say "do not call this number anymore. Any communication must be in writing. You need to validate this debt. Goodbye." And she hung up. I told her that if she gets any more calls it's illegal, and she must not give out any more personal information.

I know she needs to check her credit report to check the status of the loan, and I can point her to the Fair Debt Collections Practice Act, but I am worried about what "mischief" the debt collector could make. I don't think they even have her address, so I don't know that she would receive any letter if they sent it. What if they sent a letter to an old address and she never got it? What if they gave her a court summons that she never got?

Is there any chance that the debt collector will give up? She has gotten her life back on track and doesn't need more trouble.

TIA,

Upswingg
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.