Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
How sure are you that it was not working at 105F?

On a hot day, hot car and hot metal can take a while for the cool to arrive. Be patient. It will get there.

The newer freons seem slower than the old ones. More patience required.

When it wasn't working, did you pop the hood? Was the compressor running? Most have an electric clutch that causes the belt to power the compressor. But broken belt or failed clutch are unlikely to be intermittent.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
How sure are you that it was not working at 105F?

On a hot day, hot car and hot metal can take a while for the cool to arrive. Be patient. It will get there.

The newer freons seem slower than the old ones. More patience required.

When it wasn't working, did you pop the hood? Was the compressor running? Most have an electric clutch that causes the belt to power the compressor. But broken belt or failed clutch are unlikely to be intermittent.
No. of Recommendations: 0
When it's really hot and/or humid, use MAX COOL + recirculate inside air. I thought I was having trouble w/my A/C a couple of summers ago, and that's what my mechanic told me. Works well.
Yesterday afternoon AC died (105F). This morning it
works fine (94F)! Any explanation?

One possibility is slightly too much freon in the system. Every AC system has an over-pressure switch. Extremely high demand for AC pumping can trip that switch. I learned that the hard way.

If you don't have an AC service gauge set, you may as well buy one. R134A is going to be around for a long time.

Neil
One possibility is slightly too much freon in the system. Every AC system has an over-pressure switch. Extremely high demand for AC pumping can trip that switch. I learned that the hard way.

Another possibility is too little freon in the system. My vehicle didn't have an AC service for the first 12 years and 216k miles. This spring, it worked on some days and not on others. Mechanic found the system low on freon. He added more with a dye in it. I have not needed to go back since the AC is working just fine. That was over 3 months ago so I don't think it is a leak.

PSU