Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
How sweet of you guys to think of me!!!!

I ended up with four embryos, three of which were of "A" quality (apparently they get report cards, too). Because it was a five-day transfer, they were all 120+ cells.

In a five day transfer, at least in my clinic, they only put in two embryos because of their exceptionally high success rate and high rate of twins. If they put in three, they would end up with a lot of triplets, which are a health risk.

One of my great fears is the incidence of twins. From a strictly LBYM perspective, and looking at that whole "Two Income Trap" thing, twins would truly be something we would struggle with in our own lives. I made the decision that I fear having twins right now more than I'm afraid of not getting pregnant at all, so I opted to transfer only one embryo right now.

My thinking was that I've already carried one healthy baby to term, my embryo quality was apparently excellent, and I don't have any complicating factors that we know about that would affect implantation. Therefore, I'm going to do one this time around.

I will go for a blood test next Thursday. I'll find out by noon what's up (and be sure to post right afterwards!!!) If it worked - GREAT!!!

If not, I'm going to go for one more round, but I'm going to make sure I have a more extensive test for endometriosis (which is not suspected for me but I would want to investigate it anyway - heard one too many stories about asymptomatic endometriosis), and have one more round of IVF, where I would implant two instead of one to maximize my chances.

How's THAT for totally risk-averse???????

But I feel I did the right thing - I mostly know because my stomach isn't churning continually as I wait, none too patiently, for next Thursday.

I've got better than a 50% chance of pregnancy... and with the egg quality, probably better than that - so I feel very cautiously optimistic right now.

Of course, this is one of those things I want so badly I'm afraid to say that out loud, in case it jinxes it...

Alison
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.