Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Fellow Fools and Bulls fans,

I was just thinking (now my head hurts) about the up and down rollercoaster ride of the Bulls - Celtics series, I mean the stock market, I mean the basketball series, no, no, really it's the stock market.  Either way, it doesn't matter, I've drawn some pretty interesting parallels between the two, and I thought I would share them. (each statement can be applied to either the series or the stock market)

1.  This is sure exciting to watch.  I'm using the definition of exciting that precludes positive or negative, just the presence of excitement.  As for thebasketball, this first series has had 7 overtimes, many multiple lead changes, and violent drama in the form of hard fouls.  The stock market has behaved much the same way with rollercoaster ups and downs over the last few months, drama in the form of Chrystler filing chapter 11, and all the while various voices crying doom and gloom.

2.  Geithner or Del Negro, it doesn't matter who's at the helm, there are a lot of people who question their ability to see their respective teams through this time.

3.  Regardless of play or reason, fans just want their team to come out on top.  This applies equally for stock prices.  Reason need not show its ugly face here!

4. Even when the key players aren't living up to their hype or even present (Kevin Garnet is injured) and Chrystler is in bankruptcy, the game goes on.  GM is fizzing out, Citigroup is all over the place, and various other stocks are acting quite schitzophrenic, while suddenly Noah and Salmons are playing much better than expected, it's apparent no one, experts included, knows what's going on, their just strapped in for the ride.

5.  Finally, no matter what ultimately happens, the game will go on.  If the Bulls pull it off, it's on to round two, if the stock market further slumps, it's on to new stocks, new strategies, new assets, but no matter what, people will still play the game. 

Like I said, just some random musings and thoughts, but interesting in my own small world (head?)

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.