Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve card for all my travel. I have an upcoming pricey trip and noticed that the deposit didn't code as travel. It coded as personal services. I contacted Chase about it because if I wasn't going to get 3 points, I might need to reconsider what card to use for the other payments.

I got a letter saying it didn't qualify but they gave me the extra points as a "gesture of commitment." I will be checking with the tour company to see what's up on their end. I do like using the CSR because of the insurance attached but can pick another card if necessary.

I should pay more attention overall on this but I think it is a hazard of paperless billing/paying but not such a hazard that I won't continue to use them.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
You booked through a travel agency. It is the seller and not that card that determines the type of transaction. There is a Merchant Code that the seller uses that they pass on to the card company and the card company uses that to determine the type of business it is. When the card offers 5X points on purchases at Gas stations, it gives the points on all transactions where the seller has claimed to be a gas station.

The agency is probably listing themselves as "personal services" rather than travel. It might be worth a word with the agency to let them know that their Merchant Code makes them unattractive to customers with cards that are geared towards travel rewards.

Wally
You booked through a travel agency.

No, I didn't. The company is Womantours.com.

The agency is probably listing themselves as "personal services" rather than travel. It might be worth a word with the agency to let them know that their Merchant Code makes them unattractive to customers with cards that are geared towards travel rewards.

I did just send an email concerning this. They have a surcharge for CCs which makes me less than happy but I refuse to pay by check since there are no safeguards on the payment if there are problems and I do have some insurance on delays and whatnot.

The pay with check thing in this day and age irritates me. I have someone I am working with on the basement fix who won't take cc's. I doubt he realizes that the contract would have been signed and he might already be working if that wasn't the case. Yup, the company saves the transaction fee but seems like pennywise and pound foolish in some cases.
Yup, the company saves the transaction fee but seems like pennywise and pound foolish in some cases.

Many of the restaurants around here (in New Jersey) are adding a surcharge for credit-card purchases. They say not; they say they are giving a discount for cash purchases. The most expensive one is about 3.5%, one charges 2.5%, and one charges 1%.
No, I didn't. The company is Womantours.com.

Fair enough, the point I wanted to make is it Womantours.com that codes this as "personal services" and not Chase. HST, I think Chase would be well served to just give you the points.

Yup, the company saves the transaction fee but seems like pennywise and pound foolish in some cases.

I wouldn't know. It depends on how big a margin they take on making all of the arrangements. It it is a slim margin, they may well lose money taking a credit card. I have no idea if it is smart or dumb. My newsstand loses money if I buy a newspaper and pay with a credit card.

Wally
It it is a slim margin, they may well lose money taking a credit card. I have no idea if it is smart or dumb.

The contractor has been waiting over a month for a deposit on a contract heading toward 100K; the bike tour is about 16K. If they lose money taking a credit card, they are doing something wrong.