No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi all -

I consider myself a reasonable man.

I consider myself reasonably tech-savvy. I have home-built our last 3 computers, and even broke the warranty to upgrade the memory in my MacBook.

So it drives me UP A FREAKING WALL when - as always seems to happen - my PCs start getting "lazy" on me.

Now it's the home PC. Windows 7, 64-bit, home-built. The symptom is that it just...runs...slow - but with an average of 5% CPU utilization. So it's not that it's getting old (it's only a year or so old, and was built with reasonably top-shelf parts), but that some process seems to be blocking.

I'm not looking for a miracle from the wise Fools here, but could use some help on how to even go about starting to work on this.

I really think it's some piece of software that does something on startup - example candidates include Microsoft Security Essentials, DropBox, Carbonite, etc. I think one of them is trying to phone home, and gets blocked. I try to aggressively keep things like the Adobe Updater and iTunes updater from starting, but they keep coming back.

I can run Hijack This or S&D or whatever is in use today, if others could help point out likely culprits and suggest steps I might follow to unclog things. It was definitely much faster when first built, so I 'm highly suspicious of, oh, maybe a Windows update, or some other piece of poorly-updated software or something.

THANKS FOOLS!!!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.