Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

So my last post with this subject was about gaming the game in a way that has little to do with stock picking. This post, althought it has the same title, is slightly different. This is the other main strategy I have noticed the big boys doing to get ahead. This strategy unlike the other one discussed, could actually be done in real life, which gives it more "street cred" in my book.

This strategy simply involves finding the current "hot" sector (easier said than done) and buying EVERYTHING associated with it. If Emerging Markets are smoking, buy anything that sounds, looks or smells unAmerican. If healthcare is taking off, buy any company that has ever thought of medicine or drug research. The list is endless as a new sector is constantly getting hot and then cooling off. The alternative is also true then as one could short an entire sector as it cools off or is having problems for some reason.

I hope to use this strategy more than the other one cause it requires less work trying to make sure I've shorted a falling stock 9 times in the past 3 months and because it is easier to find a group of stocks to pick to go up than find individual stocks.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.