No. of Recommendations: 0
So I'm thinking about changing my investing strategy from small caps, (Hidden Gems) to dividend investing with II but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

I currently own 29 hidden gems, made some great cash but am not sure if making the switch makes sense.

For example, say you have $500 you can invest this month. If you put it into one of the buy first stocks you get maybe 7-10 shares. The dividend this will pay is maybe $15-$17/year. Which means you can't reinvest your dividends, which kind of defeats the purpose.

On the other hand one could say, sell the small caps and put a large amount into each of the 5 "Buy nows" but then you're faced with massive allocation in just a few companies, but at least your income is sufficient to actually reinvest.

I was hoping to hear from my fellow fools about how the smaller investor goes about using II. Do you perhaps focus on just the top 5 "buy firsts" and load up on them for a few years, buying more each month, (if so how do you decide which to buy when?)

And what about the new pick each month? How can one balance the need to diversify without spreading yourself so thin that the dividends our companies pay us amount to a pittance?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.