No. of Recommendations: 0
As I might have heard, recently got bankrupt, and customers lost
1.)Their entire Balance
2.)They are in negative , aka into margin debit balance(unsecured), which would be going into collections, if unpaid.

Using that as an example:-
My question is, if I trade into my account as an individual(or with spouse: joint owner with survivorship), how do I shield myself, in such situations, where if I screw up something, losses are limited to ONLY what my trading account balance, and NOT beyond that.

I know there are multiple scenarios which can blow up your account (into negative), if you do NOT hedge properly, such as

Hence asking, this questions.
Does LLC protect in this scenario, if you are managing your accounts individually?
Is there a way we can specify in brokerage accounts(tdameritrade in my case), that losses should be limited to my current balance in your trading account, and NOT impact my personal assets?

Basically, I don't want my family to get affected, into REAL Negative BALANCE, because of any
catastrophic loss.

I currently have my account with TDAMeritrade, with JOINT OWNER WITH SURVIVORSHIP RIGHTS.

Thank you for your time!!!
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.