Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Quiting is always refreshing...Here's an article.

-Gekko II

http://underwire.msn.com/underwire/social/Inprofile/105profile.asp
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Then there's this perspective...think I got the link from the REHP

www.kissmyfreckledassbye.com

very nice...i like that even better

:o)

-Gekko II

Quiting is always refreshing...Here's an article.

-Gekko II

http://underwire.msn.com/underwire/social/Inprofile/105profile.asp

Hey, all - been lurking here since post 1, figured it was time to come out of hiding on this one.

I am working with a headhunter to ditch my own job, and I am *really* looking forward to the change.

For 2 years the VP of my department kept asking "Don't you want Kim's (my old boss) job someday?" and every time my answer was the same - "I like what I do now, I don't want to be in management here."

Well, in December, Kim, the VP and I had a meeting. Guess what - reorganization. My group had been elevated to a division, I was being "elevated" to manager and I'd have my own analyst working for me. The VP did such a bad job of selling the position to me I was ready to burst into tears by the time I got back to my desk when it was over. Kim assured me that she was sure I could do the job and that the VP just didn't have any people skills. (Which he kinda doesn't.) So, I figured I would hang in there and at least give it a shot. Especially since had I declined it, they would have shown me the door then and there.

Well, I've been "officially" in the position for maybe a month now - and I am ready to get out. The interesting thing will be what I say when it comes time to leave, if they even bother to ask why, because here are my reasons, but I am afraid they fall into the 'burning bridges' category...

- I just don't like it.
- I asked for a written job description, and was told that there wasn't one. Great - I just love flying blind like that.
- There will be no change in compensation until my anniverary date of JUNE, depending on how I am doing. (Made so much easier to judge with no position description!) Because it will be "significant", it will have to be approved by the CFP and HR VP. However, no number has been put on the table, so I don't know what "significant" means.
- Lots of fractionalization between departments right now, and a LOT of infighting, which gets really old.
- 4 other departments have had major shakeups in the past couple months, people who are left are *very* spooked. Anytime anything goes wrong, the finger pointing starts, because they are afraid that they will be the next ones fired. It's no fun working with people who can't just say "I made a mistake, let me fix it."
- The VP that I am reporting to is basically a twit who gets some twisted pleasure out of kicking people's feet out from under them, usually in front of an important audience. Nice...

Hmm, maybe I should just stick with "I wanted to get back into a small company..."

Cindy
wow, that was long - sorry!
Then there's this perspective...think I got the link from the REHP

www.kissmyfreckledassbye.com

I've seen that one before - still love it! :)

And it really is the approach I want to go with!

Cindy
dang spaminator
Cindy:

Definitely go with the "kiss my freckled ass goodbye" approach. I find it very therapeutic. Let us know how it goes!

-Gekko II
(Who has quit 5 jobs in the past 4 years)
Cindy:

Definitely go with the "kiss my freckled ass goodbye" approach. I find it very therapeutic. Let us know how it goes!

-Gekko II
(Who has quit 5 jobs in the past 4 years)

LOL!!! I may not have the nerve to go with the full blown "kiss my curvy white butt" approach, but I am writing that dream letter anyway - I think I'll post it here when I turn in my resignation!

Cindy
I'd write the letter, but only offer "to pursue other interests" when the time comes. Leave theme scratching thier heads. As John Wayne said "Never appologize, never explain"

nmckay
who will be quitting in 8 1/2 years
I may not have the nerve to go with the full blown "kiss my curvy white butt" approach, but I am writing that dream letter anyway - I think I'll post it here when I turn in my resignation!

Be prepared, because someone might take you up on your request. I'm sure Jimmy B would at least give it a second thought.

I'd write the letter, but only offer "to pursue other interests" when the time comes. Leave theme scratching thier heads. As John Wayne said "Never appologize, never explain"

nmckay
who will be quitting in 8 1/2 years

Well, for now the letter will be to go to another job, so probably best that I remain diplomatic. But I'll write the "take a long walk off a short pier" letter anyway and just file it away just to make myself smile.

Cindy
Be prepared, because someone might take you up on your request. I'm sure Jimmy B would at least give it a second thought.

LOL!! Be careful what you wish for I guess! ;)

Cindy
LOL!! Be careful what you wish for I guess! ;)

Cindy,

Sounds like you have alot on your plate! Thats 2 major changes at the same time.Be careful about salary increases & "equitable distribution".Someone told me at the start"no major changes for 2 years"But I should talk,I'm thinking seriously about the keys,got a condo made of stone all picked out with an ocean view.If the market recovered,I could be there sooner.........

celox
Celox:

Where in the Keys? They are one of my favorite places, and am taking a much needed trip down there in a couple days.

-Gekko II
Gekko II
Gekko II

Second try

If you are going all the way to Key West, ask around and find out where Michael McCloud is playing. He is one of the best local players in the area IMHO. The last I knew he was playing at Schooners Wharf.

Order up a Dark and Stormy (Bermuda run and Ginger beer) and request "Just Came Down for the Weekend"

Enjoy!

PS. How did the exam go?
Stan:

Thanks for the tip. I don't know if I'll be making it down to Key West this time. I'm going to Ft Lauterdale and then talking my wife into a diversion for a couple days, so we may just hit Largo. If not, I will be hitting Key West this November and will definitely check Mr. McCloud out!

Oh, and the bar exam, it sucked. Unfortunately, Maine is a real pain in the ass about it and only pass around 50%. I'll find out in a couple months. Thanks for asking.

"Not a lawyer, a thief, or a banker...
Just a son of a son, son of a son, son of a son of a of a sailor"
Gekko II,
Marathon,about halfway west(not down as many think) The key are great!Make sure to hit the 7 mile grill,their conch chowder is the real stuff...

celox
Thanks for the recomendation!!!