Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
How well did this simple timing scheme do since 2009?

I haven’t looked into it. I did follow along with the GEM strategy for a while, and I don’t think it was keeping up due to whipsaws.

Not that great. Due, as you experienced, to whipsaws.

1/1/2009 to 1/1/2017, 90/10, Initial $1M, 4% SWR
Ttl withdraw $345,682
The non-timing final value: $2,048,236
Timing final value: $1,260,339

This is why a better timing method is Growth Trend Timing (GTT), which ignores the sell signal if the economy is not in a recession. I don't have that modelled in this spreadsheet, though.

Timing is like a fire insurance policy. It does not protect you against small losses, so those always cost you. What it protects you against is LARGE losses. In a period where there are no large losses, all you have are the small losses.

The market has been in a long bull market since 2009.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.