Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Test your knowledge of firearms.

At https://www.washingtontimes.com/quiz/2015/feb/25/how-well-do....
;-)

C.J.V.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Test your knowledge of firearms.

At https://www.washingtontimes.com/quiz/2015/feb/25/how-well-do.......
;-)

C.J.V

-------------------

I could only see the question of the splash page due to my script blocker, but a question like this is not really a general gun knowledge question.

"American Sniper" Chris Kyle's longest confirmed kill, at 1.2 miles, was made using this rifle

It is an incident specific question no different than how many guns did so and so use in some rampage.

A question along the kines of, "What is the difference between a clip and a magazine?" is more oriented to general gun knowledge.
. . . a question like this is not really a general gun knowledge question.

"American Sniper" Chris Kyle's longest confirmed kill, at 1.2 miles, was made using this rifle

It is an incident specific question no different than how many guns did so and so use in some rampage. . .

I’ll agree, Mike, that the whole quiz was not intended to test one’s general knowledge if firearms but specific knowledge. FYI, I got something like 14 out of the 17 questions correct with one true/false question that could be answered correctly both ways. Axe-u-lee, that first question should have been reworded to "American Sniper" Chris Kyle's longest confirmed kill, at 1.2 miles, was made using a rifle chambered for this cartridge.
;-)

A question along the kines of, "What is the difference between a clip and a magazine?" is more oriented to general gun knowledge.

Interesting question Mike. What is your answer?
;-)

C.J.V.
No. of Recommendations: 3

Interesting question Mike. What is your answer? - voelkels

------------------

I am hesitant to answer since my meager knowledge of firearms pales compared to yours but here goes.....

Both are used to speed up the reloading of a firearm.

A clip grips the cartridge by its shoulder. The majority of the cartridge remains visible. These one used with revolvers are called moon slips or speed loaders. The ones used with rifles are called stripper clips. The ones used with revolvers are pretty common. Stripper clips I think are pretty rare these days and were used primarily with older style military weapons.

Magazines, on the other hand, completely encase the cartridge. These can either be box magazines used for semi-automatic pistols or for rifles. Or they can be tubular magazines used for shotguns and if I recall correctly, some .22's used tubular magazines and maybe some still do. Box magazines may be internal to the rifle where you insert one cartridge at a time into the magazine. Other magazines are detachable where you load them apart from the firearm and then insert the magazine into the rifle or semi-automatic pistol.
Rereading my answer, even though I knew better, I used the wrong name for the element of a cartridge that is gripped by a clip....

I initially said

A clip grips the cartridge by its shoulder.

I should have said

A clip grips the cartridge by the rim at its base.
I initially said

A clip grips the cartridge by its shoulder.

I should have said

A clip grips the cartridge by the rim at its base.

Sorry Mike but that is not entirely correct. The M-I uses a 8 round clip which totally surrounds the cartridges, which are held in the clip by spring pressure of the steel clip https://redtea.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/M1Garand900x52... .

In My (not so) Humble Opinion, a better answer to the entire question would be to define the word magazine as a place where the powder, projectiles and explosives are stored prior to being loaded into a firearm of some sort. One has to assume now-a-daze the average kid probably thinks that Magazine Street was named that because it lead to a print shop that printed Time, Life, or maybe Better Homes and Gardens.
;-)

The word clip then could be defined as a device to hold cartridges prior to being loaded into the magazine of small arms such as rifles and pistols. FYI, WWL radio in N’Orleans recently did a listeners pole of the question “Did you ever fire a firearm?”. Something like 29 or 27 percent of the people that responded answered no.
;-)

C.J.V. - learned never to assume people know more than you about a subject, me
No. of Recommendations: 0
Oh rats. Two of the four I missed were "guesses" and the other two I knew and then changed my answer...Never change your mind and go with your second choice. :-)

Bill
I could only see the question of the splash page due to my script blocker, but a question like this is not really a general gun knowledge question.

It is an incident specific question no different than how many guns did so and so use in some rampage.

Unless you read his book. :-)

However, I agree that a coupla the questions were "general knowledge" information and not related specifically to "gun knowledge" information that we think about.

Bill
Interesting question Mike. What is your answer?
;-)

Uh oh! Look out Mike, that's a loaded question!!! (yes, pun intended)

Bill
Stripper clips I think are pretty rare these days and were used primarily with older style military weapons.

Oh oh...again. My turn...

My son bought an AR15 variant several years ago, and since he can not shoot in his backyard, he brought it out here for a bit of testing.

He'd purchased an old-style, metal, ammo-case (brand new case mind you) that had ALL 900 rounds in, five or ten round strips, that he could quickly "strip" into his magazines for faster loading and not have to load individual rounds one at a time. So, I believe there are companies out there still offering stripper clips. Providing of course that's what you were talking about.

Bill
In My (not so) Humble Opinion, a better answer to the entire question would be to define the word magazine as a place where the powder, projectiles and explosives are stored...

D'OH! Before I read the whole thread, I forgot all about magazines being a storage place for all'a the big bang stuffs.

C.J.V. - learned never to assume people know more than you about a subject, me

Roger that. And I also learned years ago that some folks who know what I think I also know can remind me of something I completely forgot about. :-)

Bill
>>Interesting question Mike. What is your answer?
;-)<<

Uh oh! Look out Mike, that's a loaded question!!! (yes, pun intended)

Bill

--------------

I knew I was sticking my neck out with such a knowledgeable poster as voelkels, but in general I think I didn't embarrass myself too much.
Know the ones you own well!
I knew I was sticking my neck out with such a knowledgeable poster as voelkels, but in general I think I didn't embarrass myself too much.

Not in my book you didn't. I think it's purty wise to ask someone who we think is knowledgeable about a particular subject because we ALL might learn something new. ;-)

Bill