Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
How will things stand 5 years from now, at age 52? ...I think my assets may look something like this:

Retirement Savings (total): $450K
Nonretirement Savings (total): $130K
Home equity: $132K

My husband and I semi-retired at 52 with similar savings apiece--and immediately went through the 2002 recession! And now this recession. But we're doing fine.

Just as you're planning, we moved to a lower cost of living area and bought a house for cash. I worked part-time for 3 years (at the same pay range you're talking about), then retired completely at 55. Hubby changed jobs (director of software engineering-->college instructor) with a huge pay cut but better quality of life. I can't persuade him to retire yet, maybe because we take a 2-3 month RV trip every summer, and a foreign trip most years as well. Since semi-retirement, we've been to Europe 3 times as well as Canada, Africa and India. Semi-retired life is good!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.