Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
How would opening up a 403b affect my taxes and my ability to contribute to my [Roth] IRA?

Since 403(b) contributions are tax-deferred, they would reduce your taxable income for Federal income tax purposes. They don't affect your ability to contribute to a Roth IRA, except that they reduce your AGI and therefore give you more wiggle room with respect to the Roth AGI limits.

And....does the fact that I have had retirement money going into the regular STRS account (direct from my check and the college matching funds) affect the fact that I have contributed the max to my Roth this year?

No.

Also, with my Roth...what happens tax-wise if, at sometime in the future, I begin to make more money than a person is suppose to have to be able to open a Roth?

Nothing. If your AGI is too high in any year, you can't make Roth contributions for that year, but it doesn't affect your existing Roth IRA money.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.