Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3

"that time frame needs to be 45 years or so. Do the same type of 'rules' apply, do you think? Like the 60% stocks, even after the first 10 years as suggested in the article? Would that 60% become 75% for someone who has the extra 15 years to make it last?"

The timeline is End Age minus Retire Age. If you plan to 100 and want to retire at 45, you would need 55 years of expenses.

We went out the door at 55 in 2005 with a minimal cushion. We built a home here and sold our other home. That and some other payments finished our cushion to around 3 years cash.

On the stock portion, I am not a traditionalist. With a continuing low interest environment, I am not keen on a large bond position. I post my current stats on my profile page. I have Current day stats, Portfolio segments with percentages, Monthly Change, Portfolio Income vs Expenses, Top Ten Stocks and Top 10 Income Producers.

Currently at 90.09% individual stocks plus 3.13% in stock ETF's for 93.22% stock exposure. This is slightly heavier in stock than Warren Buffet's 90%/10% mix for his wife.

The cash cushion removes a lot of the stock risk by providing a buffer that can bridge downturns. Dividends can replenish the cushion without selling at reduced prices.

During the 2007 through 2009 drop and the recovery through Sep 2010, we consumed a bit over 2/3 of our cash cushion. We started with a bit over 3 years and ended with about 1 year of cash. We used the dividends from our taxable brokerage to stretch the cash. We did our first sale Sep 15, 2010 of 1/3 of our NFLX stock, which was the last stock we bought in June 2007 (although we bought heavily after Christmas 2008.)

Our planning has always been conservative. I plan for 6% appreciation of investments and a 3.8% inflation rate. Normal values are around 9% and 3% for planning. When the various calculators say I have (had) a 90% chance of having a fully funded retirement, I figured that 10% failure was not a good option so I went lower on return and higher on inflation than those calculators. When that worked, we retired.

Stock/bond allocation is a personal thing. It really depends on your comfort level with stock vs bonds. Buffet's mix for his wife is 90% S&P500 ETF/index like VOO/SPY and 10% bond ETF/index like BIV/BND is a hands-off approach.

All holdings and some stats on my profile page
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.