Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
Howdy ....

A great link. Thanks.

As a Canadian, my perspective is slightly different and I use what is called the AECO price as part of my guide ( storage injection in Alberta for trans-shipment south and east ). That price has been in continual decline and yesterday dropped below $ 5.00 CDN to a low not seen sice October 2002.

http://www.ngx.com/marketdata/NGXIASDIDX.html

Most producers in Canada pump both Gas and Oil and it is only the high price of the latter that has supported the stock/unit prices so far.

If the trend does not reverse, big trouble is on the horizon. Investors in the CanRoy Trusts ( depending upon how gas-weighted they are ) may suffer the double whammy of having distributions cut while the Unit prices also decline. An additional factor is that many 'hedge' ( forward sell ) production. As current hedges expire, those Trusts will become more sensitive to the spot price; or may have to renew at much lower prices due to pressure from the bankers.

Non-Trust producers are able to adapt more quickly by reducing drilling. I have not seen many announcements yet but if ( when ) they start to occur the Canadian "oil services sector" will also take a big hit. If they do, then the gas-weighted Trusts can be expected to follow suit.

I hated giving up my distributions but I have cut back my exposure to only PWE ( PWT/un.TO ) and BTE ( BTE/un.TO ). Fwiw, debt levels and payout ratios are 2 other general metrics that I consider.

I don't know which of the autor's scenarios will play out ..... but I sense extreme risk.

best 'o' luck'
wayne

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.