Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
However, I would be somewhat surprised if we don't end up creating an AI that becomes self-aware within the next few decades, possibly even in my lifetime. Though more likely in my daughter's lifetime. Obviously conjecture, but that would throw your position into the proverbial cocked-hat. While I do see your point about chemical processes and life, I don't agree that sufficient complexity won't give rise to self-awareness (consciousness). I think we are very close -relatively speaking- to proving that in-fact by creating such an AI.

Remember, I'm the one suggesting panpsychism. I think we live in a conscious universe where consciousness is a property of matter so I am not sure why you think an AI with self-awareness would surprise me. I'm saying that the position you've taken that consciousness emerges mysteriously from non-conscious complexity is more magic than science.

I posted somewhere about the Big Bell Test but I can't remember. In any case, the first results from a large-scale study provides further evidence that local realism can be violated such that either information can travel faster than light or in the quantum world objective reality doesn't exist until someone observes/measures it. This article describes how the methodology of the experiment has interesting ramifications to causality and free will:

"Their conclusion is that there needn’t be an explanation for every action. “If human will is free, there are physical events with no causes,” say Mitchell and co. Their research uses evidence-based science to link the metaphysical concept of free will with basic physics for the first time... https://www.technologyreview.com/s/611159/how-the-nature-of-...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.