Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
However, if I were to want to report different amounts than were on the 1099B, the correct way to do that is to report the 1099B numbers on Form 8949 (where each transaction is initially reported), report your calculated cost basis, and than use one of the adjustment codes to adjust the sale price to your calculated amount.

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for your response, I appreciate it a lot.

Just to clarify: The German broker did not report the cost basis on the 1099-B, otherwise I would have just gone with their number.

And I agree with you that they aren't "wrong": They are just using a different data source for the exchange rate than I do.

So I am not reporting any different amount that was on the 1099-B, I am just trying to come up with the "correct" (or at least suitable) amount for the cost basis, which is NOT reported on the 1099-B.

I'm not sure, if this clarification changes your recommendation, meaning that it might make sense to report the sales price from the 1099-B and just provide an appropriate cost basis.

Thanks & best regards,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.