Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
However, if your company has matching contributions, you may have to limit your contributions to get the amount of free money available. In other words, you want your $12k allotment to stretch over the full 12 months.

Say you contribute 20% ($1500) of your salary each month, and the company matches the first 4% ($300). If you contribute $1500/mo to your 401k, you will reach $12k in only 8 months, and only earn $2400 in free matching contributions.

On the other hand, if you contribute only 13% ($1000) per month, you will receive $300 for 12 full months, earning $3600 in free matching contributions. You still get the full direct contribution, but an extra $1200 in free company matching.

This has something to do with incomes over $66k and perhaps someone smarter than me can explain the math behind it. I never actually reached $66k, no it never became an issue for me. :-(
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.