Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
However, it (Sales Taxes paid) continue to be deductible under Schedule C "Sole-Prop" rules. Same as corporate structured tax payers.

Correct, but there's no need to account for it separately. Just include the sales tax along with the item purchased and treat the total accordingly - operating expenses to expense, capital items to depreciation schedules, etc.

There might be state-specific reasons** to keep more detialed records of sales tax, but not for federal purposes.


** Such as California's Manufacturer's tax credit. It applies to the price of equipment BEFORE any sales taxes. So for that purpose you need to keep track of sales tax paid.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.