No. of Recommendations: 1
However, this company was rolling them into the mortgage, which meant we were "financing" them for 30 years.

It seems to me that although the bank may have wanted to roll that into the mortgage, you are the one who gets to decide what the mortgage amount will be. The bank does not get to dictate that. Even at that, I would never consider things like taxes or insurance to be fees associated with the refi because they are not fees to the bank. They are costs associated with the property that are due regardless of whether you refi or pay the house off with cash. What they do represent, though, is cash flow, and so if you didn't have that additonal money available for the prepaid taxes and insurance, then I can see where you might consider rolling it into the mortgage, though that is something I personally would never do. Of course, I also won't take out a mortgage that requires escrow for taxes and insurance, but I do realize that some people prefer those types of programs.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.