Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
However, you are committing a major fallacy by lumping all American automobiles with General Motors.

No not all American automobiles, just GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

In my experience, Chrysler has produced very good automobiles

I never owned a Chrysler as the experience of friends convinced me not too even as I was still buying GM. Yes, the K cars were notorious. My brother's Ford blew an engine, too, not long after mine blew. Sorry, Detroit lost me. I don't care how good they become. They lost me with their unreliable products and they will never receive my business. It's my choice whom I buy from and for what reason - it's the risk they took by the crap they produced in the 80s and 90s and thinking they didn't need my business.

Of course, the profits from the wholesale of those automobiles does go to the company that manufactures them, and thus does leave the country,

This is a fallacy that is believed about trade. It's like saying wealth leaves your household for WalMart when you buy a TV. Does it? You have the TV, and you bought it for what you considered to be a fair price. You exchanged items, not wealth. What does WalMart do with those profits, anyway? It comes back to you through the cycle of the economy. They don't just put it in a mattress. Ditto with Subaru. They can't spend dollars in Japan, they have to exchange them at the border. The profits they make come back in the form of investments, both in production and in bonds. In addition, the exposure of the US economy to lower-cost high quality goods results in economic benefits in the US as the spare money not spent on the crappy cars & maintenance go to something else, like spare PCs and motorcycles. Trade is always good, even if it is "unequal," because of the competition and lower prices that result. Ya, we lost 25,000 manufacturing jobs when PC manufacturing went overseas, and gained 1,000,000 internet jobs as cheaper PCs lead to the internet boom. Otherwise Grape and I would be paying a higher price for an American-made maintenance pig, and not have enough money to own a Harley.

dcanfiel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.