Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
However you go about adjusting your withholding, a sanity check would be to take that $1000 you owed and divide it by the number of paychecks you get each year. That is about how much your withholding needs to increase.

Ditto for the state, except the change would be a decrease.

In either case, I am assuming everything else remains pretty constant - no significant raises, job changes, new (or lost) sources of income, changes in your deductions, new family members or kids becoming independent.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.