Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Howie52: My DW was from Lancaster, Ohio - birthplace of General Sherman. When we drove
to Florida for our honeymoon, she refused to drive through Atlanta. She had
heard of drivers being harassed. I had never thought about the situation -
but when "The Civil War" show on national public television came on, there was a
discussion about "Marching Through Georgia" and the song was played as a dirge in
Georgia.

My stint in the army took me to Redstone Arsenal, Alabama (in the 1960's) to the missile school there. One of my fellow students was of the black persuasion. He was afraid to drive into town (Huntsville.) But there came the day he had to drive into town (I think it had to do with his voter registration or some such - maybe driver's license.) Sure enough, his car was rear-ended by a blonde Alabama lady. She was gracious and apologized profusely, and her insurance covered his damage. Of course, one could rationalize that Huntsville was inured to Yankees and other riff-raff because of the arsenal. This was where the Apollo program was developed. The test firings of the main engines were awesome. Some windows were broken in the town. I was able to witness a test firing.

CNC
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.